MYTHs of Homeopathy – A Series. Ep. 4
“Homeopathy is just a placebo effect”
It is frequently argued that homeopathic medicines are ‘just sugar pills’ that don’t contain any active ingredients, so any benefits patients report are due purely to the placebo effect i.e. people believe the pills are going to help and this belief alone triggers a healing response.
With any medical treatment there is likely to be some degree of ‘placebo effect’ and in this respect homeopathy is no different, but the theory that homeopathy’s effects are only a placebo response is not supported by the scientific evidence.
If homeopathy is really just a placebo effect, how does one explain:
- The existence of positive high quality placebo-controlled trials?
These trials are designed specifically to separate out the placebo effect from the real clinical effect of the treatment being tested.
- Homeopathic medicines having effects in laboratory experiments?
Effects have been seen on white blood cells, frogs and wheat plants to name just a few examples.
- The fact that homeopathy works in animals?
A rigorous research study found that homeopathy can prevent E. coli diarrhoea in piglets1 – a big problem in commercial farmingMore
Find out more about similar statements:
- Posted in: Science of Homeopathy
- Tagged: holistic health, homeoapth Vancouver, homeoapthic remedies, Homeopathic Doctor Vancouver, homeopathic practitioner vancouver, homeopathic remedies, homeopathy burnaby, homeopathy langley, homeopathy port moody, homeopathy squamish, homeopathy surrey, homeopathy whistler, homoeopath vnacouver, homoeopathy, natural healing, remedies for, u.s. homeopathy, vancvouer homeopath